A simple activity to play in class to introduce colours
Traffic Light Game Young children love this game both being the Ferrari and the traffic Light. Aims: To introduce and practice colours red, yellow, green and Stop, Be careful, Go
- Cut out some squares 10x10cm of different coloured paper and use them as flashcards. Elicit the colours red, green and yellow.
- As you hold up each flashcard and call out the colour ask all the children to run and touch something “red”, “yellow” or green in the room it could be someone’s clothing or an object in the room. Do this a few times until the children are familiar the colours.
- Explain to the players that when you hold up the red flashcard and call out red the children must stop and freeze!
- When you hold up the yellow light and call out yellow the players must start hopping
- When you hold up the green flashcard and call out green the players can run (but no bumping into others!).
Alternative Game: to practice Stop, Be careful, Go
Explain to the children that they are all cars and mime a steering wheel using your hands and beep on the horn. Now hold up the red flashcard and tell the children that when you hold up read and call out stop they have to freeze! When you hold up the yellow light and call out be careful the cars must go very slowly and when you hold up the green flashcard they can drive very fast (but no bumping into others!).